Comissioned - Chicago Skyline, Chicago Stars, Vintage Glass Windows Interview...

How interesting the universe is...


And within hours, I was on my way to preparing the canvases... two of them!


The larger one is from an old dance studio on N. Milwaukee. 


"Sea Side" Blue


This is a video of me painting...


This is the finished product!


Here I am painting the bigger window...


The final outcome....


This is Erica's sister seeing her flag window for the first time !!


Here's an interview I had with the Californian buyer:

1. Name? Erica Montanez

2. From? Living now? Originally from Chicago but living in the SF area now.

3. What drew your attention to the art? (Glass/window art? skyline? Chicago flag? Familiarity?) The Chicago skyline/flag drew my attention. I have been looking for a painting with the skyline and flag incorporated together and I found the perfect thing. the glass window art is just an extra added bonus..I love it! 

4. How do you feel about re-purposing vintage or old/historical/discarded things? I think it is amazing and gives the art an extra uniqueness to it. it makes me want to buy it more versus a non-vintage item.

5. Does this piece bring back any memories or have any special meaning? This piece is very meaningful to me.  Chicagoans, more specifically myself, are very proud to be from such a great city. Since I moved out of state, I make sure to have a piece of Chicago everywhere I go. I bought it from a local Chicago artist, Jared.  He was very attentive to my specific needs I wanted in the painting, which I greatly appreciated.  I not only bought one for myself but I am surprising my sister with a bigger version of it since she just moved out of state too. I know she will absolutely adore it since she loves Chicago just as much as I do. It is only right that she has something ‘Chicago’ in her new apartment away from home. 

6. Is there an art scene where you are from that you are a part of or interested in? There are many great artists in Chicago but I am not a part of that. A lot of different things interest me…cannot pinpoint one specific thing. If it is anything having to do with the city of Chicago, I love it! ha!

7. Are you an artist? Nope. i can draw pretty awesome stick figures.

8. Is this your first piece of art you've bought? This is the first piece of “expensive” custom art I have bought, yes. Pretty exited about it and I am pretty sure I will be a returning customer :) 

9. Do you have a particular taste in art or... did this piece leave an impression on you? I love art and different things appeal to me. I was searching on and off for a great art piece of Chicago and it just so happened that I came across Jared’s Instagram on my popular feed. I commented on one of his paintings and looked at his blog…I loved it! I CANNOT WAIT to receive it in the mail! Pictures coming soon…

Thank you again, Jared!


(Michael Jordan sinks his last shot as a Bulls legend, original Blue Line CTA map, Chicago Skyline Flag window)

I think the Chicago theme is going pretty strong here... in sunny San Fran....


Symbolism

Stripes
The three white background areas of the flag represent, from top to bottom, the North, West and South sides of the city. The top blue stripe represents Lake Michigan and the North Branch of the Chicago River. The bottom blue stripe represents the South Branch of the river and the "Great Canal", over the Chicago Portage

Stars
There are four red six-pointed stars on the center white stripe, from left to right (although this is not the order in which they were added to the flag).

The first star represents Fort Dearborn. It was added to the flag in 1939. Its six points symbolize transportation, labor, commerce, finance, populousness, and slubrity.

The second star stands for the Great Chicago Fire of 1871, and is original to the 1917 design of the flag. Its six points represent the virtues of religion, education, aesthetics, justice, beneficence, and civic pride

The third star symbolizes the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893, and is original to the 1917 design. Its six points stand for political entities Chicago has belonged to and the flags that have flown over the area: France 1693, Great Britain 1763, Viginia 1778, the Northwest Territory 1789, Indiana Territory 1802, and Illinois (territory 1809, and state in 1818).

The fourth star represents the Century of Progress Exposition (1933-1934), and was added in 1933. Its points refer to the bragging rights: the United States' 2nd Largest City (became 3rd largest in 1990 census when passed by Los Angeles), Chicago's Latin Motto (Urbs in horto - City in a garden), Chicago's "I Will" Motto, the Great Central Marketplace, Wonder City, and Convention City.

A possible fifth star has been proposed for the city flag on more than one occasion. The first occasion occurred in the 1940's, when a letter to the Chicago Tribune asked that a fifth star be added to the city in honor of the city's place in the history of the nuclear age. On another occasion, a star was proposed in honor of Harold Washington, the first African-American mayor of Chicago. A fifth star was also discussed following the Flood of 1992. A proposal was put forward by the 2016 Olympic Games Bid Committee; if the bid to host the games had been successful, a fifth star might have been added to the flag; however, the Olympic bid was lost to Rio de Janeiro.

Six pointed stars are used because five-pointed stars represent sovereign states, and because the star as designed was not found on any other known flags as of 1917. 

Corrine wanted to have his and her (new) las name be in the art somewhere, so we decided why not front and center where everyone can see, bold and bright.

Comments

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment!